Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Blogs vs. CMS

In a lot beginners for websites, there seems to be a question that many people have of whether to start a blog or a content-management system. I personally don't like CMS systems because they require you to know quite a bit of html and css if you want it to look a certain way, although you can pay to get people to professionally do them for you. I guess CMS typically have a higher potential for growth because people generally would rather visit a "normal" website as opposed to a blog.

That being said, I find it a lot easier to post on blogs. It's like writing in a diary, quick, and easy. With CMS's you have to constantly fiddle around with some pretty annoying things. You will literally waste dozens and dozens of hours if you do not know what you are doing, and I'm all about efficiency. I've learned the hard way in the past that time efficiency is probably one of the most important things you'll ever need.

CMS's like Joomla, Drupal, Mambo are all good if you have a group of people submitting articles. Otherwise, I would say blogging is better because of the user-friendly interface that makes publishing a sinch, which in turn makes it much more likely you'll be spending the time writing as opposed to figuring out the miriads of things that would occupy your time inefficiently. If I really wanted a true website, I'd probably try to find someone to design it for me, instead of spending all that time pulling my hair out with a CMS.

Comparing Wordpress to Blogger, I really give the advantage to Blogger/Blogspot when it comes to user interface. They make the site and menu very easy to use and clean to look at which makes everything a lot more inviting. Wordpress is more powerful, but I don't really need much more than a fast and easy blogging system. Perhaps later on, when I, for some reason, have some need to use a more sophisticated product then I will use it.

No comments: